Turmeric powder is made from the turmeric root (Curcuma longa). It is a common culinary spice in Indian cuisine and is also used extensively in Ayurvedic medicine, fast making its way to the natural health treasure chest! Most turmeric found in stores has been irradiated which removes the beneficial therapeutic properties. It may also be adulterated with starch and colorants to make it look like 100% genuine turmeric – so make sure that you only use non-irradiated pure turmeric powder!
Health benefits of turmeric
- Acts as a digestive aid – helps to stimulate the gall bladder to produce more bile, which is important to break down dietary fat
- Studies have shown that Curcumin in turmeric can reduce the growth of cancerous cells and new blood vessels in tumours
- The powerful anti-inflammatory and oxidative properties of curcumin make it a perfect choice to reduce arthritis symptoms
- Helps to prevent Alzheimer’s and promotes brain and neurotransmitter balance
- For bronchial asthma stir a teaspoon of the powder in a glass of milk or preferred drink and drink up to 3 times a day
- Can also be used in DIY skin care products to naturally cleanse, purify and brighten the skin!
- Non-irradiated turmeric is a key ingredient in Golden Milk (haldi doodh) – an Ayurvedic health drink
How to use Turmeric Powder
Turmeric powder can be added to food dishes, sauces, soups and drinks like tea and milk! It is best to have on an empty stomach.
Turmeric Tea – Dissolve 5 grams (about 1 teaspoon) of turmeric powder into boiled water or almond milk. Add a pinch of ground black pepper, which is important to help your body to absorb the turmeric! You can also add lemon, honey, ginger and other spices to enhance the flavour of this delicious drink.
100% Non-irradiated Turmeric Powder