Xylitol Syrup – A natural diabetic-friendly sugar substitute (335 g).
- An excellent & healthy alternative to cane sugar or fructose
- Tooth friendly! (antimicrobial and can prevent cavities and the growth of bacteria)
- Helps to stabilise insulin and hormone levels.
- A safe sugar alternative for diabetics and those with impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance.
- As Xylitol has a glycemic index of only 7, compared to sugar, (which has a glycemic index of 60-70), it is also a weight loss friendly sweetener, since it contains 40% fewer calories than sugar.
- Excellent to drizzle over desserts.
- Vegan & vegetarian friendly & certified non-GMO
- Warning – toxic to dogs!
What is Xylitol?
First discovered in 1891 by a German chemist, Xylitol was re-discovered during World War II, by the Finnish who were suffering from sugar shortages and looking for a viable alternative. Conveniently Finland has dense forest areas with Birch trees and with the discovery that Xylitol can metabolise without insulin, the alternative was well received. Since the 1960s Xylitol continues to be used as a sugar alternative for diabetics and those with impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance.
Xylitol is a five-carbon sugar. This means that it is antimicrobial and can prevent the growth of bacteria. Unhealthy bacteria in the mouth has shown to increase cavities and periodontal diseases like gingivitis. Unlike table sugar therefore, Xylitol protects teeth and promotes the regeneration of gums. It is so beneficial for teeth that when used before bedtime and after brushing and flossing, the sugar will heal your gums and teeth as you sleep!
Another benefit of Xylitol is its anti-bacterial properties that can prevent middle-ear infection in children, it does this by blocking bacteria from attaching to cells within the body. Studies have also shown that Xylitol is beneficial to bone health with scientists speculating that this is a result of Xylitol aiding in calcium absorption within the intestine.
A natural insulin stabiliser, Xylitol also supports the immune system and protects against degenerative diseases.
Xylitol Syrup (made from corn)