- Relieves ear infections in dogs, cats and other pets
- Treats ear mite infestation
- Reduces inflammation of the ears
- Reduces pain, itching and discomfort and prevent constant scratching of ears
- Helps to prevent chronic recurring ear infections
- Reduces the need for antibiotics
Ear infections in pets
Ear infections are very common amongst cats and dogs and can cause severe irritation and discomfort for your beloved pet. The normal flora of the ear canal (the natural bacteria and yeast that lives in the ear) requires a balanced environment for optimal functioning. Any disturbance to this environment, such as inadequate ventilation due to floppy, hairy ears or inflammation of the ear canal due to dietary intolerances, upsets this balance and an overpopulation of the bacteria and yeasts naturally resident in the ear canal results. The ear reacts by secreting more wax which further compounds the problem and thus begins the cycle of ear infections.
Common signs of ear infection are:
- Shaking of the head and ears
- Scratching or rubbing the ears and face
- Discharge or even bleeding from the ears
- Foul smell coming from the ears
- Sensitivity to touching in the ear area
- General irritability
- Head tilt
There are a number of causes of ear infection and common culprits include overgrowth of bacteria, yeasts and mites. Less commonly, allergies may have a role to play in inflammation and subsequent infection of the ears. The ears are an extension of the skin and pets with skin complaints such as skin allergies and other hypersensitivities often suffer from ear infections. An odd phenomena is that dogs with blocked anal glands often have ear problems too, so a possible link from one end of your dog to the other!!
Ear mites, or Otodectes cynotis, are small, parasitic creatures that usually live in the ears of your pets causing severe itching and inflammation. These mites can also live on the head or body of dogs and cats – with the same effects. They are often large enough to see with the naked eye, can live off a pet’s skin for some time and are very mobile – allowing easy movement between host animals. These mites are highly contagious and will spread between pets in the same household very easily. They may affect both cats and dogs and even humans may pick up these little critters.
Secondary infections in pets with ear mites are common and generally involve bacteria or yeasts.
Conventional treatment of ear infections in pets involves antibiotics and, in the case of mites, medications and products also used for flea control. In severe infestations and multiple pet households, insecticides are sometimes used for treating the house or living environment.
The natural way
As ear infections are so often treated with antibiotics, chronic and recurrent ear infections are a growing problem and usually occur with decreased immune functioning – a frequent side-effect of antibiotic drugs. In addition, bacteria become resistant to antibiotics, meaning that conventional treatment may become less effective over time.
Natural remedies can treat and prevent infections of the ear without any of the side-effects and adverse effects on immune functioning that antibiotics have.
How can Ear Dr help?
Ear Dr. contains a blend of natural, herbal ingredients in a medicinal olive oil base, all specially selected to treat and prevent ear infections (including fungal infections) and ear mites without the side effects of prescription drugs or the health and environmental risks associated with commercial synthetic pesticides.
Ear Dr. can provide safe yet effective relief for your pet’s ear problems and can also help to prevent recurring ear infections, thereby reducing the need for repeated courses of antibiotics.
What are the ingredients?
Ear Dr. Ear Drops contain the following 100% natural ingredients extracted in a medicinal olive oil base:
- Melaleuca alternifolia is also known as Tea Tree Oil and is widely used for external inflammation and to treat various skin conditions. This oil has outstanding anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and healing properties. Tea Tree Oil will soothe and reduce inflammation in the ear as well as treat any bacterial, fungal or mite infection that is present.
- Rosmarinus officinale (Rosemary) is well-known as a topical pain reliever and antiseptic/disinfectant herb. Several of the compounds in rosemary have also been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Calendula officinalis (Marigold) is an herbal ingredient used to treat skin problems and promote healing of wounds. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory and prevents infection with its anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. Marigold has been shown to assist the regeneration of damaged skin tissue.
- Verbascum thapsus is an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic herb. Verbascum thapsus is also good for healing of skin when applied topically and has a long history of use for ear conditions and in natural ear drops.
How has Ear Dr helped others?
My poor puppy has been scratching his ear and the side of his head against furniture and anything he can find recently – the itching of his ear was so severe that his desperate attempts to scratch even caused sores behind his ear that would bleed intermittently. Ever since using your Ear Dr. oil his ear seems to have cleared up – I am so relieved as it was terrible to see him in such a state. Thanks for a great product that works so quickly and effectively!” – Dana
“My dear old beagle has had almost constant ear infections in the last few years. The cycle of infection, antibiotics, new infection, more antibiotics was frustrating and soul destroying and his scratching and whining nearly drove us batty! My vet has a special interest in natural treatment and recommended your website – so I ordered the ear oil and it has been wonderful. Three months now without any sign of infection and – far from having to find new and more ingenuous ways to get him to take his antibiotics – Benji actually enjoys his little ear “massages”! Thank you from both of us!” – Julia
How do I use Ear Dr?
The ingredients of Ear Dr Ear Drops. are presented in a soothing olive oil base.
Directions: Hold your pet’s head slightly to one side and allow the drops to fall into the ear canal. Massage gently to spread the oil into the ear canal. Repeat 2 – 3 times daily for about 7 – 10 days. Re-apply at the very first signs of re-infection. In the case of chronic ear problems, apply once or twice weekly as a preventative once the acute infection has cleared up.
Cats and small dogs: 2-3 drops in the affected ear.
Medium-large dogs: 3-5 drops in the affected ear.
Note: For external use only. Please consult your veterinarian should symptoms persist. May be used together Immunity & Liver Support for natural antibiotic effect.
Caution: For external use only. Please consult your veterinarian should symptoms persist.
Some helpful tips for pet ear care
- Ear infections may occur as an isolated disease but are very often associated with general skin disorders. Certainly a grass seed in the ear or a case of ear mites will be localized to the ears but more often than not, with chronic ear conditions there is another, often less obvious cause.
- By adopting a holistic approach to your pet’s health and examining all factors that influence your pet’s wellbeing a happy, healthy pet will result.
- Ear infections are often triggered by allergic reactions either to something in your pet’s diet or something, such as pollen, within the environment. Ear disease as an extension of generalised skin disease is a challenging treatment. By identifying the triggers of ear infections (such as an intolerance to a preservative or colourant in the diet or an allergy to wheat or maize) you will be one step closer to owning a pet with happy healthy ears!
- Today’s rushed, overprocessed lifestyle puts strain on our pet’s immune systems and predisposes them to developing allergies and succumbing to infections
- By feeding a diet free of colourants and preservatives and one that approximates the diet that they would eat in the wild you are less likely to have a pet that suffers from dietary intolerances. Try Vondi’s Natural Cooked Food or Doggobone Active Raw Food – both available from the Feelgood Health shop in Westlake, Cape Town
- Add Skin and Coat Tonic to your pet’s ear treatment program for optimal healing. The environment of the ears is part of your pet’s skin. A glossy coat will be an added benefit.
- A last note: Do not be tempted to stick ear buds or anything similar in your pet’s ears, you will only do damage.